(1) To enable the international participants to exchange experiences and knowledge in a
long-term regular cooperation, and to create a network for exchanging expertise and
complementary knowledge between leading European, American and Chinese
scientists working on intelligent sensor network and system technologies for fish
farming and to achieve new scientific results and breakthroughs.
(2) To exploit complementary expertise of the participant organizations in order to create
synergies among participants and establish long-lasting partnership which will
operate to their mutual benefit and increase their research capacity in advanced
information and communication technologies in fish farming research, The
programme covers 4 of 10 distinct FP7 themes, namely fishery and aquaculture,
information and communication technologies, nanotechnologies, and Environment
(including climate change).
(3) To strengthen the objectives of nationally funded research projects (see Annex I)
which are related to this proposal in some way, and widen the perspectives towards
future calls at either the national or European level. It should enable this consortium
to execute joint experiments and start joint implementations, to foster research on the
topic and to form an international community working on this promising research area.
(4) To implement an intelligent monitoring and control system for fish farming by partners
in China and Norway, which will be the direct result of the international research
network and the staff exchange.
China has been the biggest country in aquaculture in terms of the quantity of total output of
aquatic products for 16 years, and with very strong expertise and advanced breeding
technologies in fish farming. However, multi- and cross-disciplinary studies essential in
intelligent sensor network and system technologies for fish farming research are lacking. In
addition, with respect to the Chinese partnership we will focus on the study of practical and
economical intelligent monitoring and control system for fish farming. The scientific objectives
- To explore advanced sensing principles and fabrication technologies for intelligent embedded sensors, as well as protocols of smart sensors for fish farming.
- To identify new platforms, operating systems, storage schemes, and communication protocols for wireless sensor network for fish farming.
- To design smart monitoring strategies using a minimum of hardware sensors and using soft-sensors to estimate unknown rates and concentration in the recirculation system for insight into the dynamics and for advanced (model-based) control.
- To design remote, advanced (model-based) control strategies for safe, energy efficient and economically optimal fish farming.
- To establish a platform for water quality monitoring, diagnosis, early warning, automatic control and decision making for fish farm.
- To deepen the study of real-world system integration for fish farming. For the realization of this an intelligent monitoring and control pilot system for fish farming will be realized and tested in China and Norway. The participation of the European and American institutions will support the laboratory experiments related to mixing processes.